Happy New Year & Welcome Back! For those of you who have visited me here before, you know I am originally from the South… South Texas to be exact! There are a lot of things I miss about Texas… my extended family, childhood friends, the music, friendly drivers, the Cowboy Fans and THE FOOD!
When I say the food, I mean the Tex-Mex Food! I have eaten food from around the world, but for me, there is always something nostalgic about the Tex-Mex food I grew up eating, especially my mom’s food and healing spices, like Cumin, Oregano, Thyme and Cilantro!
Every day, and I mean every day, my mom always had fresh homemade flour tortillas sitting on the stove… Tortillas for breakfast, Tortillas for lunch, Tortillas for dinner… I never ever grew tired of mom’s flour tortillas!
Mmm mmm mmm, I miss those days!!!
I don’t miss my food related health issues with meat, dairy and gluten, but I do reminisce about the other aspects of the Tex-Mex Culture which surrounded my childhood food.
The men were often gathered around our huge BBQ pit, mostly boasting about the last Dallas Cowboy Game, while others were dancing, drinking and eating up a storm!
My grandmother, aunts and mom all gathered in the kitchen whilst preparing other dishes, such as, Tacos, Potato Salad, Tortillas, Rice, Beans, Guacamole, Desserts, etc… I can still smell the food, hear the laughter and feel the unity! Everyone talking over each other, some laughing, and the rest constantly picking on each other… oh, sweet memories!
As for me, I was always bare foot, in pig tails and one of many cousins climbing grandma’s trees, playing hop scotch and freeze tag, all the while, sneaking in and out of the kitchen, begging to help cook and eat a pre-dinner tortilla! 🌞
We drank tons of Kool Aide & Texas Tea. We didn’t mind water out of a hose, we were rarely indoors and never heard of transfats, gluten or lactose… Ahhh, such yummy food, ignorance is bliss… lol!
Our Texas family and friends still gather, but times have changed! Not all of us eat animal meat, dairy or gluten, but there are some things that remain constant- We all root for the Cowboys 🏈and we all love Tex-Mex Food! Woohoo!
Here is a Yummy Kid-friendly Twist on a Tex-Mex dish that may help a fellow Vegan survive this football season!
Vegan Tex-Mex Tacos!
*All Ingredients are NonGMO & Organic
- 1 tsp each: Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Ground Cumin, Thyme
- 1/2 tsp each: Paprika, Cayenne, Oregano.
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced).
- 1 Handful Cilantro to taste.
- 1/4 Red Onion (finely chopped).
- 3 Medium Bell peppers (cored & sliced).
- Gluten Free Flour or Corn Tortillas of choice.
- Vegan Taco Meat of Choice (24 oz) serves 4.
- First prepare Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper.
- Break up Vegan Meat & Simmer in large pan.
- Add Onion & Garlic, increase to Medium Heat.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Wait 5 minutes, add dry ingredients to meat.
- Add 3 Tablespoons Spring Water to meat.
- Cook on Medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add Bell pepper slices to meat in pan.
- Heat Bell pepper to desired tenderness.
- Heat up Gluten Free Flour or Corn Tortillas.
- Scoop some taco meat into Tortillas of choice.
- Sprinkle Cilantro leaves on top, add toppings.
Tomatillo Guacamole 🍈
Tomato Tidbits 🍅
Sliced Avocado Strips.
Daiya Shredded Cheese
Toddler & Kid-Friendly Taco Version:
- Separate a small portion of meat.
- Add 1/8 of Dry ingredients.
- Exclude Cayenne, Black & Bell Pepper.
- *Depending on child’s age, you may want to use:
- Dry Onion, Garlic, Thyme powders.
- *Fresh Onion/Garlic may cause painful bloating & gas.
- Follow same steps for remainder of recipe.
Thanks for visiting us at YummyYummyBaby.Com and stay tuned for more Tex-Mex Food!
Stay warm & cozy and see ya real soon!
XOXO ~ Dr. Dee
——– Original message ——–