The various colors of Fruits and Vegetables can be thought of as complementary forces that interact to form a dynamic system in which our body can achieve vital nutrients.
Fruits, Vegetables and other plants provide essential Phytonutrients as well as essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that each color group has to offer.
Phytochemicals, also known as phytonutrients, are a large group of plant-derived compounds believed to be responsible for much of the disease protection derived from diets high in fruits, vegetables, beans, cereals, and plant-based beverages such as tea and wine.
Of these phytochemicals, flavonoids are the most diverse group of phytochemicals. Research suggests that flavonoids, in particular, may be an important phytochemical group that contributes to the reduced mortality rates observed in people consuming high levels of plant-based foods.
How many Fruits & Veggies do you actually need?
• Children 2 to 6 years old should get three servings of vegetables and two servings of fruit, for a total of five.
• Children older than 6, teenage girls, active women and most men should get at least four servings of vegetables and three servings of fruit, for a total of seven!
• Teenage boys and active men should get five servings of vegetables and four servings of fruits, for a total of nine!
According to the CDC, more really does matter and it truly depends on your particular body and your particular genetics and life-style. Are you sensitive or intolerant to certain fruits & veggies, have you had your DNA tested for MTHR Polymorphisms? Consider really getting to know your food genes!
Research reveals that if you create a variety and balance of Fruit & Veggie Phytonutrients in your daily life, the result will greatly contribute to:
• Strengthening your immune system
• Lowering your risk for certain cancers
• Warding off Type 2 Diabetes
• Reducing High Blood Pressure
• Preventing some Eye Diseases
• Maintaining Urinary Tract health
• Maintaining Heart Health
• Improving Memory
• Helping build Strong Bones & Teeth
Start eating a Rainbow of Colors everyday and you raise your chances of having Optimal Health & Phytonutrient Power!
Here is a Yummy Yummy recipe for Tomatillo Tacos. This Deelicious recipe has so many colors of nature’s rainbow, you will be well on your way to receiving some of your daily requirements.
Tomatillo Taco Ingredients:
1 Head of Radicchio
1/2 cup of Cilantro Leaves (de-stemmed)
3 Medium to Large Ripe Avocados (peeled, pitted, diced)
2 Cloves of Garlic (peeled)
1/2 Red Onion (chopped)
1 teaspoon of ground Cumin
3 Tomatillos, (husked, chopped)
2 Medium Tomatoes (diced)
2 Limes (juiced)
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Cups Cucumber (diced)
1/4 Chopped Basil (optional)
Tomatillo Taco Instructions:
1) Combine the Tomatillos, Cilantro, Avocado, Red onion, Garlic, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
2) Separate Radicchio Leaves
3) Dice Cucumber
4) Coarsely Chop Tomatoes
To serve Tomatillo Tacos:
1) Place the Radicchio leaves on a platter.
2) Gently place a heaping Tablespoon of diced Cucumber on each leaf.
3) Place a generous tablespoon of Tomatillo mixture over Cucumber.
4) Sprinkle some diced tomato over Tomatillo mixture.
5) Slice Basil strips on top of tomatoes.
6) Sprinkle Sea Salt on top.
*mixture makes about 30 tacos
Mmmm… I can’t wait to eat these Deeelicious tacos!
I look forward to hearing what you think of these tasty treats! Ohhh, they are so Yummy Yummy Baby!
Stay Healthy & Happy ~ Dr. Dee