Do you think it is important to change the oil in your car’s engine?
Detoxing our body on a regular basis is as critical as changing the oil in our car regularly! Strive to be a finely tuned machine that is cleaned, lubed and given great fuel!
What is Detox?
According to Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus, Detox is a process or period of time in which one stops taking unhealthy or harmful foods, drinks, and other substances into the body for a period of time, in order to improve health. Basically, detoxification means cleansing the blood by removing impurities from the blood in the liver. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, colon, gall bladder, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system and skin.
Why is Detoxification important?
A typical car needs to have the oil changed about every 3000 miles. The accumulation of miles on an engine results in more unburned fuel to be dumped into the crankcase, which causes the oil to degrade. Over time, this can bring about rapid and undue engine wear and all the problems that come with it, such as loss of performance and fuel economy, and increased emissions and oil consumption.
Blood Detox is very important because our body is constantly being bombarded with toxins from every aspect of our lives. Un-natural chemicals in your drinks, in your food, in your vitamins, medication, the air you breathe, in the lotions, pesticides, and beauty products, all result in a blow by blow degradation that cause undue wear and tear and major over-load on your organs. Mucked up and dirty blood causes a loss of body performance and poor food fuel efficiency.
Changing your oil is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to make sure that your engine and car stays in good shape. This is such simple maintenance, but people often let it go for thousands and thousands more miles than is safe.
This is also true for clearing out the dirty blood and toxins in our body. Cleansing our blood is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to make sure that our system stays in good efficient shape. By detoxing your blood, you can improve the functioning of all your main organs, especially your liver, your kidneys, your pancreas and gall bladder.
5 Signs Your Body Needs a Detox:
1) Unpleasant Noises: Are you constantly full of gas, bloated, retaining fluid, have congested sinuses? Is your stomach constantly making weird knocking and pinging sounds? Do you get constant cravings? It’s time to examine the fuel you are putting in your body and consider a Detox!
2) Color: The color of your tongue should be a pretty pinkish color. If your tongue is White or yellow-coated, and/or you have bad breath, then consider a Detox!
3) Red Flags: Trouble with fertility? Have you had issues with your gallbladder or had it removed? Are you diagnosed with an auto-immune disease like Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Lupus,Celiac? Do you have Acne, Rosacea, Itchy skin, mood swings?
4) Sluggish Body: Do you have early morning Insomnia? Are you always feeling fatigued, even after sleeping a long time? Is your body really sluggish about losing weight even though you exercise and diet regularly? Do you get overheated and sweaty really easily?
5) Chemical sensitivity: Is your body sensitive when drinking alcohol? Are you easily affected during and after having alcohol, medicine, vitamins? Does the smell of fragrances and chemicals leave you feeling really sick and/or anxious?
According to Harvard-educated physician, Sara Gottfried, M.D., author of The Hormone Cure (Simon & Schuster, 2013), there are many signs that tell us that it is time to Detoxify our body. She goes on to say that if you have 4 or more of these signs listed within the examples, you may have a Congested Liver that needs Detoxing.
There are so many types of Detoxing programs out there for you to choose from. It is imperative that you do your research and figure out what works for you! It is best to have a mentor help support you with your detox. Consider seeing a Functional Medicine MD, Homeopath, Holistic Nutritionist or someone who is considered a true expert in Detox and Nutrition.
It is important to clearly understand there is not a one size fits all! Some people use Juicing, Eating Cruciferous vegetables, Extracts, Teas or Herbs… Research!
It is important that you go very very slowly at first so that you can learn what is best for your genetics and sensitivities. For example, if you are sensitive to sulfur, sulfites, sulfates… then high levels of cruciferous vegetables are something to be very careful with. Cruciferous vegetables are high in sulfur and may lead to greater pain and inflammation. What are your genetic food sensitivities?
According to Mark Hyman, M.D., regardless of the Detox program you choose, do the following while Detoxing:
- – Drink at least 6 -8 glasses of filtered water daily
- – Are you having regular bowel movements? (Consider Magnesium?)
- – Allow more time for sleep while Detoxing. (Consider Magnesium)
- – Exercise Daily! (Min of 30 minutes)
- – Help an upset stomach with Ginger or Peppermint Tea. (4 cups a day)
As a Holistic Nutritionist, I can tell you that juice cleanses are an absolutely wonderful way to thoroughly cleanse your entire body. Juicing helps you skip chewing and breaking down food, so your digestive system is given a big break and time to repair and heal. Juicing your food will fill your body with live enzymes and an abundance of antioxidants that help not only neutralize free radicals but also strengthen and support your immune system, lower blood pressure, and improve your sleep and memory. An added bonus is these antioxidants have anti-aging properties! Juice cleansing is an excellent way to inundate your system with antioxidants and enzymes. We use the Nutribullet daily!
Again, start very slowly and please remember to consult a trained health care professional before you begin!
Here are a couple of Yummy Yummy recipe ideas to discuss with your Detox mentor:
Nice-Cream Cilantro-Lime Detox Margarita:
2-3 Frozen Bananas, 1/4 Cup Cilantro, 2 Tablespoons of Mint, 2 Cups Cold Dairy Free Milk
Detox Margarita Instructions:
Chop Bananas in chunks, Mix all ingredients in a Food Processor or High Speed Blender, Enjoy!
Green Machine Smoothie
1 handful each of Spinach, Mint, Parsley; Juice of half one Lemon; 1/2 a Cucumber, peeled; 1 large Celery stick; 1 inch piece of Fresh Ginger, peeled
Green Machine Instructions:
Blend all ingredients together in a juicer or blender until smooth. Serve over ice & enjoy!
Ask your Detox mentor how often you should detox, which depends on how toxic you are and what you are trying to achieve.
Remember to keep your car’s oil clean and your body’s blood clean and Oh the places you will go!
Stay Healthy & Happy ~ Dr. D.