When things in life look really really bad… it’s time to get to work!
Did you know that when Ludwig van Beethoven discovered he was going deaf at age 26, he didn’t give up composing his music? Beethoven started working more diligently and told people he knew there was work he was born to complete…
When our newborn son was diagnosed with H-Pylori, a bacterial infection of the stomach, we were told there was nothing we could do but give him antibiotics and synthetic medications that would cause all sorts of horrible side effects and probably not cure his infection. So our choices were to give up or be inspired by Beethoven!
Helicobacter pylori or H pylori is a bacteria that causes peptic and duodenal ulcers and many other types of stomach inflammations that cause burning, pain, nausea, bloating and extreme distress. In some people, some strains of the bacteria do not cause any symptoms, while other strains develop life threatening conditions like stomach cancer.
Inspired by Beethoven, instead of believing there was nothing I could do, I went straight to work and was more determined to find some relief for our 8 month old infant. I started researching what people around the world were doing to naturally cure H-Pylori.
This mom on a mission discovered so much more about fruits which have strong antibacterial qualities and are potent in treating Helicobacter pylori and many diseases. Fruits heal because they are also rich in phytonutrients which are antibacterial, anti carcinogenic, and antiviral in nature.
In addition, I discovered there are many other natural powerhouses that can help slow down the growth and pain associated with the ulcers and bacteria, which gives the gut a chance to heal. Some of these natural remedies are: Tumeric, Garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar, Fresh Wasabi, Baking Soda, Broccoli Sprouts, Mastic gum and of course, Raspberries. Luckily, Bodhi’s favorite remedy is Raspberry.
Raspberries are considered a Super-Fruit and really carry a lot of healing power in every little berry.
Tests conducted at the Hollings Cancer Center at the Medical University of South Carolina have revealed that the human body benefits from raspberries in so many ways.
The Medical Benefits of Raspberries:
- Raspberries have Ellagic acid, an anti-inflammatory, kills Cancer cells & kills H-Pylori Bacteria.
- Raspberries do not have any fat, saturated fat, sodium or cholesterol.
- They are high in Fiber, Vitamin C, potassium and folate.
- Raspberries contain antioxidants such as Quercetin & Gallic acid.
- Gallic acid fights against cancer, heart and circulatory disease and age.
- They are also high in polyphenolic compounds which also fight cancer.
- The Anthocyanins in raspberries are antioxidants that protect against heart disease & mental decline.
- The oil from raspberry seeds is rich in Vitamin E & Omega-3 fatty acids.
Raspberries can be eaten any way you like: fresh, frozen, cooked or preserved, the ellagic acid remains intact even after cooking or preservation. Make sure that you have a continuous supply of ellagic acid in your diet to prevent the recurrence of the H-Pylori condition, which is very common.
When Beethoven lost the majority of his hearing and his greatest love… he composed Immortal Beloved, When life handed me tart raspberries… I made Sweet Raspberry Cake! 🙂
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for Raspberry Pumpkin Cake… a Yummy Yummy dessert that is so soft and moist, it’s filled with healing raspberries, and is just one big tasty holiday party in your mouth! This cake has all of your favorite holiday spices, but with a frosting that has a twist!
Yes, there is sugar, but it is super Moist, Vegan and Gluten Free! Shhh your guests and family will never ever know!
Vegan & Gluten Free Raspberry Pumpkin Spice Cake:
- 3/4 Cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1/8 teaspoon of Fresh Ginger Shavings
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, melted.
- 1/4 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk, room temp (or coconut, rice milk)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Nectar (or Molasses, Agave)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon of All Spice
- 3/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Gluten-Free All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- pinch of Sea Salt (optional)
Instructions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 3 medium ramekins with cooking spray.
- Wash your sugar pumpkin and clean it inside and out.
- Dry pumpkin, cut a round cap, then cut pumpkin into slices & squares.
- Remove pumpkin skin, then boil Pumpkin Meat squares until soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients, whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine room temp milk & melted coconut oil.
- Once Meat is boiled, place in a high speed blender with Ginger, blend.
- Now add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Evenly pour the batter into each prepared ramekin.
- Bake about 28-30 minutes, until center is set & toothpick comes clean.
- Allow cake to cool in ramekin, on top of a wire rack, for at least 30 minutes before placing on the rack to finish cooling completely. While cake cools, make the frosting.
- 1/4 Cup softened Coconut Butter (or butter of choice)
- 2 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Coconut Milk (or milk of choice)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine vegan butter, 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 3 tablespoons Vegan milk of choice, and beat with an electric mixer on medium high speed until smooth. If needed, drizzle in more milk until desired frosting consistency is reached. If frosting is too loose, add a bit more confectioners’ sugar or milk until you have desired consistency.
- 3 packages of Raspberries
- Set 1/3 of the raspberries aside to garnish the cake.
- Using a small knife, split the remaining raspberries down the middle so they can be opened flat.
- Put one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with one third of the frosting and add one half of the split berries.
- Add a second layer and repeat with another third of the frosting and the remaining split raspberries.
- Top with the last layer of cake and remaining frosting, garnish top with the remaining raspberries.
Oh your house is going to be filled with the aroma of the holiday spirit! This will be an absolute hit with all your family and guests! Looking forward to hearing how much you loved this Yummy Yummy treat!
Stay healthy & happy ~ Dr. Dee